Sunday, January 8, 2012

letter from Sen Blunt on China policy reply to question

Thank you for your letter concerning China's economic and trade practices.



As you know, China's unwillingness to allow its currency to rise and fall alongside the dollar and other currencies has often resulted in challenges for U.S. manufacturers attempting to sell goods into the Chinese market. I agree that this practice has created distortions in global trade and may violate China's commitments under international trade agreements.



I believe that addressing trade disputes with China should be one of our nation's top trade-related priorities. I'm working closely with U.S. Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon on a bill (S. 1133) to address some Chinese companies' efforts to evade U.S. trade laws. International trade can only work for American workers if other countries play by the rules. I believe the U.S. must continue to monitor China for unacceptable business practices, including the manufacture and export of unsafe products, exploitative employment practices, and intellectual piracy. We need to work to ensure that China and other trading partners play by the rules to ensure American products can continue to compete with any other product in the world.



I'm concerned that S. 1619, the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Bill, is not the right approach to this problem. By taking this approach, the United States risks violating its own commitments under the World Trade Organization (WTO), making us guilty of the same accusation we are leveling against China. It also risks starting a trade war with China, which I believe could have dire consequences for American manufacturers, farmers, service providers, and consumers.



I have joined with my colleague, Senator Orin Hatch of Utah, in proposing an alternative solution to this challenge that is compliant with U.S. international agreements and attempts to solicit the help of other Western nations and international organizations to align China's currency with world markets. I will keep looking for ways to resolve this problem, which I fully understand is a serious challenge for our nation's manufacturers.



Agai n, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt ) and Twitter ( www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter .

--------

topic will surface at next st. louis soar meeting next month.

thank you Mr. Blunt for answer. still awaiting Claire's reply.

No comments: