Saturday, November 30, 2013

Senators blast Wal-Mart “trampling” workers’ rights as dozens of activists are arrested on Black Friday

Senators blast Wal-Mart “trampling” workers’ rights as dozens of activists are arrested on Black Friday

click link

snip


At least 55 total people have been arrested in Black Friday Wal-Mart protests, according to organizers. Those arrests, which came amid a statement of support from a handful of congressional Democrats and plans for 1,500 total protests, took place at civil disobedience actions in Ontario, California; Arlington, Virginia; Chicago; Dallas; and Secaucus, New Jersey. Arrests were also expected at mid-day demonstrations in St. Paul, Sacramento, and Seattle, and at a Bay Area rally at 3 PM PST.

“I have to look at my ancestors, and those who joined in civil rights marches, walks, sit-ins, and they did civil disobediences for us,” Chicago employee Myron Byrd told Salon prior to being arrested. He said his reaction when watching arrests at a prior protest was “Wow, this reminds me of the sit-in days – you know, when my mom and them used to talk about in the sixties.” Byrd added that the action was “for the workers who may stand, and most of them [who] cannot stand. I’m sacrificing myself along with others to do this to show Wal-Mart that hey, I’m not afraid, they not afraid, we not afraid.”

No comments: