Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Editorial: Ballot questions reflect growing pains in St. Charles County : Stltoday

Editorial: Ballot questions reflect growing pains in St. Charles County : Stltoday

click link

 
Historically, sheriffs were the most powerful elected officials in their rural Missouri counties. The legendary Walter “Buck” Buerger, for example, was sheriff of Jefferson County for 28 years.

Upon his death in 2009, one of his former deputies recalled the night he broke up a huge fight at a river access point by holding up his arm and telling the burly ringleader, “My name is Buck Buerger, I’m the sheriff of this county. I’ve got trained marksmen out on that bridge, and when I drop my arm, they’re going to start shooting. I want you and your people to get out of here, now. My arm’s getting tired.”

There were no marksmen on the bridge. Just Buck.

In some of Missouri’s outstate counties, sheriffs still have that kind of clout. But as exurban counties have become more urbanized, law enforcement has become more professional and less personal and political. On Nov. 6, voters in St. Charles County will be asked whether they want to take the next step.

No comments: